Shopping today so we’re ready for tomorrow! (a shout out to all of my preppers, you know who you are!)
Sooo, I’m getting pumped and I’m going to try to accomplish all of my shopping at these 2 stores:
1. Trader Joe’s
2. Mother’s Market
Why not Whole Foods or Sprouts you ask? Because it’s just not convenient to get to on my way home from work today. And Like my “Paaah” (what we called my grandfather and how we pronounced it with a Michigan accent), always told me, “Bet-anee, work smart not hard.” His accent was southern. :)
- Rice cakes
- Flax crackers
- Gluten free bread (vegan)
- Sweet potatoes
- brown, wild rice, and quinoa
- Nuts: almonds, walnuts, cashews
- Seeds: sunflower or pumpkin
- peanut butter or almond butter (unsweetened)
- Vegan butter (I already buy earth balance. Yeah me, saving about 4 bucks!)
- Protein Powder- I’m kinda torn on this one. I already have whey protein at home. From research I know that our bodies process whey protein the BEST, but whey comes from animals. I have also heard of Pea Protein Powder (vegan), so if I find it, I’ll pick it up too. Yup, PEA protein, who knew?!
- Disclaimer: I love protein and more importantly, our bodies need it, so if I don’t find Pea protein, I’ll just stick with whey and get over it. Soy protein is an option, but I choose to avoid it.
- Black beans, lentils, chickpeas, edamame, fava beans
- Tofu?? Again, not excited about soy.
- Faux burgers, sausage patties: Hopefully Pete won’t just live off of Boca Burgers!
- rice/quinoa pasta
- Pasta sauce (no sugar added)
- Vegetables: kale, broccoli, green beans, asparagus, brussel sprouts, zucchini, butternut and acorn squash
- Mushrooms: shitake, portabella (grilled, they make a great centerpiece for a meal)
- Salad “fixins”: mixed greens, peppers, avocado, tomato, etc.
- Fruits: apples, cherries, peaches, blueberries, goji berries
- Lemons, limes for sparkling water cocktails. A splash of unsweetened pomegranate juice
- Coconut water
- Teecino (wanna try this coffee substitute)
- almond milk (unsweetened)
- agave nectar to sweeten smoothies, milks, cereals, etc.
- Garlic, ginger
- Flours to cook or bake with: tapioca or nut and seed
- Corn chips
- Soy cheese (no rennet or casein)
- Frozen spinach (to throw into smoothies… you won’t even taste it!)
- Flax seed oil, freshly ground flax seeds
- Vegetarian stock for cooking
This should get us started. Of course, I’ll probably have to cruise back to the store daily for some random ingredient or to make a yummy dish like this one
My Front Yard. No excuses.